Today, April 1, 2020, is National Walking Day. Yes, the world is in lockdown due to coronavirus. People are not allowed to go out in large groups. But that is not a reason to leave walking. Go out for a small walk today. Because walking every day is a good way to keep health ailments at bay.
Social distancing and self-quarantine are active in all countries. But that should not discourage you from going out alone for a short time. Sitting at home and playing games, watching TV is not good for your health. The mind needs oxygen. Walking has a number of health benefits.
— American Heart Association (@American_Heart) April 6, 2016
Given below is a list of some of them:
- Increase in cardiovascular and pulmonary (heart and lung) fitness.
- Reduces the risk of heart diseases and stroke.
- Good management of conditions such as hypertension (high blood pressure), high cholesterol, joint, and muscular pain or stiffness, and diabetes.
- Stronger bones and hence improved balance.
- Increases overall muscle strength and endurance.
- Reduces body fat.
To get the health benefits, try to walk for at least 30 minutes as briskly as you can on most days of the week. ‘Brisk’ means that you can still talk but not sing, and you may be puffing slightly. Moderate activities such as walking pose a little health risk but, if you have a medical condition, check with your doctor before starting any new exercise program of physical activity.
On this National Walking Day go outside, breathe in the fresh air, and then come back home. Do not go out in groups. Stay safe, stay healthy.